Education and Awards
AWARDS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Glossop Medal and Glossop Lecturer 2016
- Distinguished Service Award, British Standards Institution 2017
- Medal of Merit, European Federation of Geologists 2009
- Engineering Group Award, Geological Society 1994
- William Smith Fund, Geological Society 1992
In 2016 David was awarded the Glossop Medal for his contribution to Engineering Geology, as encapsulated in his Glossop Lecture on “Standards and quality in ground investigation – Squaring the circle”.
David has also recently been presented with an award for 25 years of Distinguished Service in the preparation of National, European and International Standards.
In 2009 David was awarded the Medal of Merit of the European Federation of Geologists in recognition of his promotion of the role of geology to those outside the profession, the influence on the way the European geology profession is viewed and significant contributions to the organisation of the profession.
In 1994 he was awarded the Engineering Group Award by that group of the Geological Society; this award recognises achievement of significant contributions in research, publication or practice in engineering geology. David was also awarded the William Smith Fund of the Geological Society for 1992, an award made to acknowledge excellence and initiation of significant contributions to the science before the age of 40.
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- UK Registered Ground Engineering Adviser 2012
- Chartered Scientist 2005
- European Engineer 1992
- European Geologist 1994
- Chartered Geologist (formerly MIGeol) 1981
- Member Institution of Civil Engineers 1981
- Chartered Engineer 1981
- MSc (London) 1978
- DIC 1978
- BSc (Hons) 1974
- Fellow Geological Society 1974
- BSc Hons Geology, University of Bristol
- MSc Engineering Geology, Imperial College, University of London
- DIC Engineering Geology, Imperial College